Thursday, April 5, 2012

Brad's Wish List Part 1

I'm presenting a list of subjects I'd be interested in seeing for possible future kit releases in the hope that it generates action by mainstream kit manufacturers and model builders (i.e. to produce, purchase, and build them!).  My top area of interest is 1/48 aircraft, and so part 1 will focus on this.  All types on my list are overdue for a modern treatment.

Great Wall Hobby P-61A
Great Wall Hobby TBD
I don't want to leave the impression that kit makers have been unresponsive to my interests. Three subjects which were high on my personal list have been addressed in recent months.  Two were produced by newcomer Great Wall Hobby which released its P-61 Black Widow and TBD Devastator kits.  The third was by our oldest friend Revell which released the Lockheed PV-1 Ventura.  All are really nice.  Of the three, the Revell Ventura is the best value at $36.98. I hope they've sold tons!  My hat is off to Great Wall for the excellent out of the box quality of the Devastator.  I also respect the company's willingness to address several much discussed but minor issues with the Black Widow.  They are revising tooling to several components to improve accuracy for the next boxing of the early P-61A.  Problems with the initial release were largely corrected by Great Wall offering new and additional parts.  Great Wall sent them to our supplier, who in turn, sent them to us at no expense.
I still haven't seen the perfect kit yet!


Revell 1/48 PV-1 Ventura.  No, I didn't build this one!
 
Since I have very little time to build models as much as I'd like,  why would I want more?  The honest and mature (?) answer is BECAUSE!  Another answer might be, "more is always better".  Let's take a look at my wish list.

World War 2:

P-40B/C Tomahawk
B-26B Marauder
B-17E/F Flying Fortress
B-24D Liberator
AT-6/SNJ Texan
PT-17 Stearman
B-29 Superfortress

All have been done, and all need an updated treatment.  I don't think my list differs much from others I've seen elsewhere, especially with regard to the top three.  I guess the issue will be how to keep the price low on the big multi-engine subjects.  A $400.00 B-29 won't sell well.

In addition to the above list I might also like to see manufacturers improve existing kits.  I'm thinking, for example, of Tamiya's P-51 kits.  Both the "B" and "D" suffer from minor issues.  I'd like to see Tamiya add a cockpit floor, a late pilot's seat, link ejector ports under the wings, and early 75 gallon teardrop drop tanks to the P-51B.  The P-51D needs a better sliding canopy to fix the super thick stiffener arch.  It could also use additional under-wing  stores like 110 gallon teardrop and 160 gallon Lockheed drop tanks seen on late war P-51s.  Cost to develop these minor upgrades would be minimal and might regenerate interest in older but still excellent kits.  All kit manufacturers should take a lesson from Great Wall Hobby.

Moving on...

Post World War 2:

F-80C Shooting Star
F-86A/E Saber
F-82 Twin Mustang (Especially the F/G/H models.)
RF-101C Voodoo
F-100D/F Super Saber (That's right! I'm calling out Trumpeter!)
F-105D/F/G Thunderchief  (Ditto Hobby Boss!)
F-4C/D/E/J/RF-4C Phantom (Slipped off Eduard's upcoming list, and yes, I'll still build my Hasegawa F-4s)
MiG-17 Fresco C (Hobby Boss has issues.)
MiG-25P/PD/R Foxbat (Especially the reconnaissance version.)
SR-71A Blackbird
RF-8A Crusader
U-2C Dragon Lady
UH-1C/D/H Huey
AH-1G Cobra

Note the number of recon birds.  I grew up in Austin around the RF-4Cs at Bergstrom AFB.  I guess that explains that!  I'm also noticing that my modern list is longer than my World War 2 list.  Except for those noted above, and the Bf-109 (Haw, Haw!), World War 2 has been covered fairly well.  The jet list could, however, be even longer.  A slight push could get me to include the F-102 and F-106, and dare I say it... the B-58 Hustler.

Others I'd like to see but never will:

Ford Trimotor
B-17C/D
Martin M-130 China Clipper flying boat

I gotta be me.

Let me know if I've forgotten something.  I probably have!














No comments:

Post a Comment